Friday, December 7, 2007

Ch-ch-changes!

Kulani and I like to watch a show on A&E called "Intervention." It's about actual addicts (ranging from gamblers to heroine addicts to anorexics) who face an intervention of their friends and family. Their purpose is to create a makeshift "bottom," where the addict will have no choice but to go into rehab. I've often wondered what it takes to get people to seriously change. Firstly, it doesn't seem like you can "get" anyone to change; change comes from within. Even going to rehab won't help someone unless that person wants to change.

I used to be a cynic and think most people don't change. I still think most people don't change, but now I do think people can, and I have the biggest respect for those who seek to change. It's hard to look objectively at yourself and see the changes that need to take place (I still bite my nails). I often wonder what the precepitating event in a person's life is that causes someone to think, "Something's not right in my life. I need to change." I listen to Glenn Beck from time to time, and he talks about his change, and his precipitating event was losing jobs due to his alcoholism. But what is the event that causes people to change for the worst? What causes someone to start drinking, smoking, eating, not-eating, gambling, etc.? It seems more common to see people change for the worst, or maybe that it seems easier to change for the worst and much harder to change for the better.

The best advice I ever received from someone was to not try and change someone, but let God do that job. I'm not sure why I brought up this subject. I think it has to do with a loved one of mine whose life is so contrary to how he used to be living, and it makes me wonder what it will take to bring him back. One thing is for sure, however. In order to change permanently, I really do think it requires a network of support from others. I know if I were fighting inner demons, I would need a hand here or there to pull me above the fray. In other words, I may need to change my circle of influences to be around those people who would not aide and abide my addiction. I know the main purpose in going to church is to worship God, but I have a second reason for going to church, and that is to be around people who, in my mind, are at least trying to make an effort to live a better life.

This discussion has brought me back to my weight-loss goals. It's time I remove all obstacles from my pantry and refrigerator. Kulani has taken on a huge goal, and I can do more to be his impetus. For more details, read his perseveratingpineapple blog.

No comments: