Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Judge not, lest ye be judged by a preteen

Earlier today I made a quick stop at the local Wal-Mart for some cereal and other sundries. I gathered my purchases and proceeded to the checkout line.

A girl between the ages of 10 and 12 stood in front of me in line. She had on a dancing outfit, her hair was pulled back into a bun, and her skin sparkled with glittery make-up. My imperfect mind instantly made a judgment about the girl: probably a spoiled little dancer girl who's never had to do a day of work in her life. Of course, I never said it out loud. I'm one who believes that you can think whatever you want, but acting on those thoughts is another story.

The girl turned around, looked me in the eyes, and said to me, "You have really pretty hair."

My self-absorbed judgmental thoughts immediately fled from my mind.

I blushed, and answered, "Thank you so much! That's very sweet of you to say."

I kid you not, it was probably the best, most sincere compliment I've had in a long time. I teared up while reaching into my cart and putting my items on the register treadmill.

Next time, my thoughts will be fixed on returning the compliment to sparkling girls and not-so-sparkling girls. Heaven knows a little less judgment and more compliments is what girls and women of today need. Thank you, spoiled little rich girl, for your example.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

Love this story, probably cause it's exactly what I would have been thinking if I saw the glittery preteen and the same shock and shame I would have felt for judging her- thanks for sharing.

Kristi said...

ps- you do have pretty hair :)

Morkthefied said...

Krist, you're a woman after my own heart. I'm glad you understood my post. I'm thinking some people would just read the judgmental parts and judge me for judging. What I was saying is that we all make judgment calls in our head, but when a person says something nice to us, we re-think and make different assessments. It would be nice if we never did the judging in the first place, yo. I know you can dig it. And thanks for the compliment!

Angela said...

My daughter just got done with dance. Her hair to to be fixed just as you described, or no dancing. She tried out for the competition team and didn't make it. She was devastated, but if that's what people think of little girls like that, I'm glad she didn't...and the fact that it would have been outrageously expensive. She's definitely not a little rich girl! You know, I would have made the same judgment, and probably still will since my daughter didn't become one of "them". Fair judgment, or bitterness of not making it? My guess is the second one.
Cindy, you do have pretty hair, along with many other attributes that I wish I had.