Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Oddity

This is Kulani, so direct your hate mail to me not Cindy. And also, fair warning.

Cindy and I have had many discussions about doing what you love versus doing what you like or don't hate, but that provides a decent living. I was raised in a family in which the priorities for work were that 1) it allows you to provide a good living for the family 2) its honest and 3) you can do it long-term, which means that you don't hate it. Patent law is not my passion. I enjoy it, but I love to ride bikes, fish, and cook. While some people make a living cooking, I know I don't have the skill set to be a successful restaurateur nor the talent to fish or ride for a living. So, I write patents.

The other night Cindy and I were at the Rooster Rehearsal Dinner. Joseph and Colton of P712 fame, and do make a living doing what they love, were at our table and we were talking about work. Joseph asked me if like what I do, and I answered honestly that I do like what I do.

As Joseph thought on my response, he reaffirmed his thought, "You have to do what you love."

My response was less than appropriate, "Unless, of course, you're a pedophile."

2 comments:

Scott and Jami said...

I was told I have to make sure you know this is Jami and not Scott. We too have many discussions about doing what you love and like, but it is always spurred by the initial discussion about where we live. I don't love it here, but Scott doesn't really care because he loves his job. I think I would love my job more if I was closer to family. The question is can both people in a marriage love their jobs and job location. I don't think it's possible. Anyway, thought provoking comment minus the last sentence.

Kristi said...

you got me into trouble with this one Kulani- I laughed so hard cause I could just hear you saying that and see the looks on your friends faces and as I laughed I totally thought of a friend of ours- because it is the exact kind of statement he would say. So the next time I saw him I told him I heard a story that reminded me of him and proceeded to tell him, expecting that he'd laugh as hard as me. Well he didn't- he wondered why a story about a pedophile would remind me of him- Crap I didn't think of that. I'm still trying to get him to forgive me- good story though anyways.