Friday, August 29, 2008

Role Reversals

Today I walked to the bus stop to pick up Lilia. As I got closer to her, I could tell she was holding back tears. She ran to me as soon as she saw me. She started wiping her eyes and tried masking how bad she was feeling. After the other two girls veered off into their home, Lilia let it all come out. She started to cry. I hugged her and waited for her to gain her composure. She said she brought some gum in her backpack and was waiting until after school to share a piece with the older neighbor girl Kayla. When she brought out the gum, Kayla told her that gum wasn't allowed on the bus. That's all it took to hurt Lilia's feelings. Sometimes it's like looking in a mirror from my childhood when I watch Lilia. I called Kulani to tell him about our exchange, and that did him in. "I'm coming home," he said. Poor Kulani has been working so much lately he's barely been able to see the girls.

My college-age brother has been storing some stuff in our basement for the past couple of weeks. Like every good college student, he has a healthy stash of ramen noodles. Our family's newest favorite taste sensation is a dish Hawaiian's call Saimin. It's made with ramen noodles, spam, and green onions, and it's our favorite Sunday after-church treat. I've had to borrow from Ed's stash a couple of times. I can tell this bothers Lilia. Today she asked me if I'd paid Ed back for his ramen. I lied and said I had. She asked me again. I said, "Well, not yet, but I'm going to, I promise." Her reply: "Good. Thanks for telling the truth, Mom. You did good."

Melissa has invented this new princess she calls Cranberry Rose. From what I gather, she's part Cinderella, but in a red dress. Today I asked her if it would be all right if I took a nap and she not bother me. She told me that would be a good idea, because than I wouldn't be so cranky. So I tried lying down to sleep in my bedroom. However, Cranberry Rose interrupted me every 10 minutes or so asking me to help her with design choices. "Mom, do you think Cranberry Rose should wear these shoes or these shoes? ... Mom, can you help Cranberry Rose put on her gloves? ... Mom, I'm letting you sleep, but does Cranberry Rose look fabulous?" What did she say to me after I gave up and came out of my room? "Hey, Mom, did you have a good nap?"
The Greenwoods invited us over to their house to try out their totally awesome slip-n-slide. Here are some pictures. Even though I didn't plan on joining the kids, I could tell Nohea wanted to slide down, so I joined her in my workout clothes I had on. Days like this remind me why it's so great to be a mom.


6 comments:

Angela said...

After reading this, I just want to give Lilia a big hug. Darn it. Next time just tell her to hurry and chew it and smoosh it in the girls hair. Joking! I hope you can't read yet,Lilia!Maybe Cranberry Rose could banish her from the neighborhood.
That kiss picture is priceless. Keep it and treasure it! It doesn't last!

Amo said...

Cindster -- your girls are as adorable as you are. Do they also stain their shirts right in the middle about 6 inches from the collar? Just curious!

Also, where's your post on RockObama or the Alaska guv? Loved Obama's speech Thursday and am real interested in the Alaska beauty queen. I'm a bit conflicted, but still in Obama's camp.

Morkthefied said...

Amo, I couldn't agree more. Maybe in the future I'll blog about who I'm voting for and why, but for now, I'll leave well enough alone. I really enjoyed Barack's speech on Thursday. And I was hoping McCain would appoint Huckabee for his V.P. so I my choice would be easy. But Barack picks Biden, and then who does McCain choose? An Idaho-born woman, who graduated from the University of Idaho in journalism, and who was a high school basketball star. On that alone I'm starting to sway back to McCain. Fickle, I know. What's a girl to do? IMHO, very smart move by McCain.

Morkthefied said...

Oh, and Amo, I never stained your shirts--the stains just magically appeared there coincidentally after I'd been wearing your clothes. My girls' shirt stains make mine look like minor specks. And of course the family is invited to the luau. I guess I'd better send everyone an e-mail...

mariann and Tory said...

Doesn't a slip and slid just sound like sooo much fun! Honestly! That slip and slid looks HUGE!

Amo said...

I have decided Palin is entirely too extreme in her Republicanism so I'm sticking with Obama.

I'm not sure we'll make it to the luau, still trying to convince Grace.

If the stains magically appeared, why did it keep happening?